Friday, October 8, 2010

Free Cruise Awareness

Imperial Majesty Cruise Line. To the Grand Bahamas.

I received a phone call about a promotional free cruise a couple of weeks ago. I answered about ten questions on an over-the-phone survey. After I completed the survey my call was sent to a cruise representative. They confirmed my name & best number to be reached at. I was then told that I would be contacted within the next 72 hours for confirmation of my free cruise tickets. Sounds harmless so far, right? I received the confirmation call a little over a week after the first call. This person was explaining to me all the special features of the cruise. One of the features was that I would have a total of 18 months to decide on when i wanted to take my cruise. After I listened to this 15 minute speech about how great the cruise was going to be I was asked for my credit/debit card number. Of course I asked why they needed to know that information. I was told that it was to cover the port fees and government taxes, which weren't included in the free cruise. That fee was going to be a total of $118 for two passengers. At this point i was getting a little skeptical about the whole thing & asked if I had to pay the fee at that time. So I was then sent over to a "manager" who immediately asked for my credit/debit card number. I still didn't have my question answered so I asked it once again. The response I got was that I needed to pay the fee right then & there to insure that my spot was reserved on the ship as it was on a first come first serve basis. I proceeded to give my card information to the "manager" & got halfway through with my card numbers when I hung up the phone. I had come to the conclusion that it was not a good idea.
A co-worker told me "if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is." & this cruise definitely sounded too good to be true. So this is just a word of caution to those who may receive a call similar to this one. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM! Because in the end you will probably end up paying for the entire cruise due to the fact that you have to attend a promotional presentation that is hard to book your cruise date on.
Here is a link to some tips on how to spot a free cruise scam:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4392425_spot-free-cruise-scams.html

2 comments:

  1. This is good info, scammers are really working overtime these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. unfortunately :| getting serveral calls a day from these people. finally told them to remove our company from the list. hope that fixes it.

    ReplyDelete